BACHOOCHIE

Pronounced BAH-CHEW-CHEE, it was a nickname my sister called her first-ever niece, Miss C-Jaz. According to urbandictionary.dom, this term is used to express "an absolutely wonderful bum". And that she is, myBachoochie, my little bum cheeks.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Miss C-Jaz Makes Big Bird's Little Nests

We are on Day 3 of Miss C-Jaz's eating streak.  Unbelievable.  Still waiting for her eating to decline again...any mealtime now.

Miss C-Jaz was particularly impressive this evening with dinner.  I made chicken adobo, which was so good and so easy, especially since I don't cook filipino food often (see recipe below*).  No picture can capture its sour aroma and amazing taste.  A picture might just not do the dish any justice.

J loved it - thankfully!  Before we left for Sweden, we wondered where our filipino food fixes would come from.  How would we survive away from both our parents' homes and authentic filipino foods?  I never cooked much at home for this reason.  We lived 5 minutes away from Ganma and Ganpa then another 5 minutes from Mamita and Wowo.  If I could cook like our moms then we just might survive.

J wasn't the only one who enjoyed the adobo.  Miss C-Jaz finished her entire Ikea bowl of one scoop of rice and chicken adobo.  She also ate her cucumber, which I recently found a new way of cutting so that she would eat it.

When Miss C-Jaz was first starting to eat solids, I peeled cucumbers then cut it into slices and further into bite-size pieces.  Eventually, I stopped cutting the cucumber into bite-size pieces.  When she got better at eating, I stopped peeling cucumbers but continued to cut it into slices then into halves.  Lately, since Miss C-Jaz has been helping me put J's salad together after his workouts, I cut the cucumbers (unpeeled) into slices then into quarters.  Miss C-Jaz would bite the centres of each quarter piece then place it into J's salad, saliva and all.  Today, I cut a 3" section of the cucumber then sliced it lengthwise until I reached the juicy core, Miss C-Jaz's favorite part.  I cut this section further into 4 to 6 'stix', and voila, Miss C-Jaz easily ate her greens.  Now, to work on broccoli and zucchini.  If only there were a way to get rid of the green colour.

I don't know what it is about the green, but Miss C-Jaz definitely did not want to eat it in Monday's SCRAM-bled Egg & Zucchini Pie.  I liked it.  Yesterday, we tried something different in our Elmo cookbook of snacks.  I was excited because I thought it would turn out into something similar to macaroons, but quite the contrary.  We made 'Big Bird's Little Nests' made of a baked coconut mixture filled with non-fat sour cream and mandarins.  It had a nice light taste, but the coconut mixture was dry, not chewy.  Miss C-Jaz had fun filling the nests, but the first bite she took was spat out as fast as it came in.



In my macaroon-disappointment I tried changing the filling into something sweeter: Jello chocolate pudding and whipping cream.  "Not bad, Mama," as Miss C-Jaz would say.








* Here's the Chicken Adobo recipe I made tonight for 2, adapted from Ganma's ('Tang-koo!').  There are lots of ways to make it, and here is one.

   6 boneless chicken thighs, rinsed, seasoned with salt and pepper
   1/2 cup each of soy sauce and vinegar (more or less depending on how much sauce you want)
   4 cloves of garlic, minced
   1/2 an onion, diced
   bay leaf (if you have it)

   Combine all these ingredients into a small pot.  Let it sit to marinade if there's time.  Otherwise, bring the pot to a boil, and let it boil on high for 15 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium for 10 minutes, then finally to low for the last 5 minutes.  Don't forget to cook jasmine rice.  Enjoy ;)