BACHOOCHIE

Pronounced BAH-CHEW-CHEE, it was a nickname my sister called her first-ever niece, Miss C-Jaz. According to urbandictionary.dom, this term is used to express "an absolutely wonderful bum". And that she is, myBachoochie, my little bum cheeks.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Open Preschools near Hammarby Sjostad are Few and Far Between


I've researched and researched online for "international dagis" (kindergarten), then realized I should be looking for "open preschool" where I can go anytime during specified hours with Miss C-Jaz so she can socialize with other kids.  The key thing is that I get to be there with her.  Ideally, I was hoping for a place where Miss C-Jaz could interact with both English and Swedish speaking children.  She's just over 2 now, and I've felt as though she needs to be around other kids, but maybe I'm worrying too much.  She doesn't have any problems socializing, in fact, as soon as she's comfortable with anyone new, she talks non-stop.  At first, she might sit very quietly and completely still with her hands on her lap, but if she likes you, like "Andoo" a.k.a. "Daddy's Friend", she's playing and pinching and laughing and talking.  It's important to remember that if you do get on her good graces, pay attention if she's talking to you.  Otherwise, you'll hear her sigh saying, "Ay nako po!"  (Tagalog for a phrase like, "Oh my goodness.")

On our adventures today we found the closest open preschool I could find online, just over Hammarby Lake via the free boat ride.  From a distance it was nice and open.  Unfortunately, up close, it was more like a zoo with kids everywhere in chaos though there were supervising adults and smaller groups off on their own.  It was supposed to be for kids between a few months to 6 years of age, but it seemed like mostly older kids.  There were 2 reddish buildings like in the photo, and looking in through the windows it seemed un-kept.  It wasn't what I was hoping for, but if we start our Swedish classes downtown then I hope to take Miss C-Jaz to the open preschool in Segels Torg (photo from Hellbom's Weblog).  This is where we were for the Outdoor Food Market of International Flavours.



Miss C-Jaz may not have been able to play with other kids today, as she was also asleep, but we enjoyed the weather and walking around.  From our boat ride across Hammarby Lake to walking by the water, we enjoyed the amazing sunshine, which by no means emits heat.  We're lucky and blessed!