BACHOOCHIE

Pronounced BAH-CHEW-CHEE, it was a nickname my sister called her first-ever niece, Miss C-Jaz. According to urbandictionary.dom, this term is used to express "an absolutely wonderful bum". And that she is, myBachoochie, my little bum cheeks.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Like Daddy Like Daughter: Strong Gagging Reflex

Miss C-Jaz is still in diapers.  She's 28 months.  Some may say it's ok, keep working on it with her.  Others may say you should've worked on it much earlier.

She's head strong.  I've said it before, but she knows what she wants, and when her mind is set there is no convincing her otherwise.  Trying to trick her or finding ways to convince her about anything is not as easy as it once was, which feels like only last week.

Miss C-Jaz knows what diapers do for her.  She knows what the potty is and what its purpose is.  She's interested in it but still holds back.

My current 'bargaining chip' for her, if you will, is that whenever I change her poopy diaper, she gags, and gags, and gags.  For a while her gagging wasn't that bad.  She covers her nose then gags a few times, but in the last week, she's gagged once so much that she puked a bit.  I try to get her cleaned up as fast as possible and tell her she's ok.  It helps a little.

I remind Miss C-Jaz as often as I can that if she poops in the potty then she won't have to smell it as much, and maybe she won't gag either.   She has a strong sense of smell like her Daddy, always asking, "What smell?  What dat smell?"

Miss C-Jaz gets the whole potty thing.  I suppose I could try a method that I've heard a few friends say work.  I'm just not sure I could manage it...no diapers and/or no bottoms for a few days or a week during the day so that the potty-trainee would feel leakage and know that would mean going to the potty.  

I've tried what I call 'coincidental' training, which is taking her to the 'wa-hoom' first thing in the morning then every 2 or 3 hours, but she was always non-compliant to take off her diaper and sit on the potty.

Back at home in Canada we had the Summer Infant Step-by-Step Potty Trainer and Step Stool, and she sat on it when I did.  She knew how to wipe her bum but never intentionally did her business in it.  She accidentally pooped in it once, but when she stood up suddenly, because the poop was stuck to her bum, it fell to the floor.

I suppose for now I must continue to persevere and be patient and perhaps ponder 'bare-bottoms' potty training.