BACHOOCHIE

Pronounced BAH-CHEW-CHEE, it was a nickname my sister called her first-ever niece, Miss C-Jaz. According to urbandictionary.dom, this term is used to express "an absolutely wonderful bum". And that she is, myBachoochie, my little bum cheeks.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cooking Swedish Food and Learning the Swedish Language

So, the Kryddiga Kycklingspett that I made last night was actually pretty good, or as Nana would say copying me, "Not bad.  Is not bad, Mommy."  I did, however, have "two Swedish fails" that wasn't so good.  One was a salad that had cabbage, pineapple, and parsley.  It sounds different, but the flavours worked well together, so it wasn't entirely all that bad.  I also tried making Raggmunkar, which looks better in the picture.  It's like a potato pancake to be eaten with lingonberries served along side a beef dish.  The Raggmunkar was actually really good with the Spicy Chicken.

Anyway, this morning we had our second Swedish class, and we got into pronunciation and the basics of the ABCs and 123s.  It was very interesting, and better than I expected this class to be.  It's a language still changing and adapting influenced by other languages such as French.  It has 3 extra letters, which are also vowels, and the 'W' is not officially part of the ABCs.  Some letters are pretty straightforward, but the letter 'H' is more like a grunt, which is pronounced like 'hooh'.  The numbers are also interesting.  Twenty is pronounced like saying 'shoe-go'.

Miss C-Jaz behaved very nicely during the class.  She didn't fall asleep like last week, but she played with her mini sticker book, whispering whenever she had a question, and she read her Swedish pop-up book, Är du trött Krokodil?, played a blowfish game on my iTouch, then had her milk near the end.

It was still cloudy today but less likely to rain so we ventured to Sture Gallerian for a little visit to Zara and my favorite bakery that I found during our May visit.  I bought the yummiest chocolate cookies and vanilla cookies.  They're crispy, thin, and sweet, but Miss C-Jaz doesn't like it as much as her Oreo Thincrisps (Thanks, Nang!). 

J had to stay at work, which makes Wednesdays harder because we have to leave him behind.  Whenever I tell Miss C-Jaz how much I miss Daddy or ask her where he is, she always says, "Don't worry, Mommy.  Daddy be home soon.  He at 'wok'."  I respond with an okay and a thank you, then she says, "Mommy, now say it to Nana."  So, I tell her what she tells me.  It's so cute.  Oh the things Miss C-Jaz says, even if sometimes what she says may sound mean.  Just after her nap today, we were cuddling for a bit under the covers pretending to be cold.  I was squeezing and hugging her, the she said, "Mommy, don't hug Nana."  So, I stop but then she says, "I 'yove' my Mommy!" with the biggest grin ever and a Tyra Bank smize.